Access the same databases that the telescope uses to do its work using the links below:
- Completed Observations
- Requested Observations
- Queued Processing Requests
- Completed Processing Requests
- List of Observers
- List of Observer Groups
- System Logs (new!)
- Current Observatory Status
August 31, 2017
The maximum exposure times for special exposures is now 1,800 seconds (30 minutes).
July 5, 2017
The #process command now supports the really-cool arcsinh stretch algorithm used by the observatory's programs when creating jpeg images.
June 13, 2017
The comprehensive system logs that the #human uses to monitor and manage the observatory have been made available to all observers.
June 9, 2017
The robotic telescope will not operate from June 12-22 as the human caretaker is out of town at a Robotic Telescope Conference in San Diego!
April 27, 2017
Some new management features have been completed:
- Observer accounts can expire after a specified date and be renewed with a #renew command.
- Observers are placed in an observer group and they are granted the priority and special permissions associated with that group. Groups also can have an expiry date in which case the associated accounts expire on that date (even if the observer's expiry date is later).
March 31, 2017
The robotic telescope will not run between April 5 and April 14 due to the #human caretaker's vacation.
March 18, 2017
The #delete command can now be used to delete Completed Processing Requests and their associated images. Consider deleting intermediate steps or those that did not turn out the way you hoped.
March 16, 2017
A new FAQ has been added: What are all these filters and which ones should I use?
March 8, 2017
February 17, 2017
Due to the university winter break and associated vacation of the observatory's #human, the robotic telescope will be not running from February 19 to 26 inclusive.
January 9, 2017
Read about the BGO highlights of 2016.
January 4, 2017
The new Facebook interface goes into beta test mode today! Current observers who which to switch to the Facebook interface should request authorization using Facebook and include in the message your old Twitter handle or email address. Note that observatory policy does not allow observers to have accounts using multiple interfaces.
December 13, 2016
December 3, 2016
Five new robotic telescope features go live today!
First, images for non-special observations are now sent immediately after they are taken! The completed observation queue is still updated in the morning with the raw full-resolution FITS images and Jpeg images.
October 17, 2016
Two new features go live today - the 'focus' and 'offset' parameters of the #request command.
The 'focus' parameter is intended to be used defocus the telescope when performing photometry of bright stars to reduce overexposure OR to increase photometric precision by blurring stars over more pixels - this can reduce errors caused by how light falls and is recorded by each pixel.
The 'offset' parameter offsets the telescope's position from its catalog position which could be used, for example, to:
- build larger images using a mosaic of separate fields,
- offset a comet's nucleus to a corner of the field so more of the tail can be recorded,
- and place a variable star off-centre so that reference/check stars are in the field of view.